Wednesday 22 August 2012

The other side of the wedding

I curse the day someone coined the phrase "Happily ever after". Whoever it was clearly was not on Earth when they said it. Nor was he/she human! In the real world I've come to learn that in our human nature we will most likely make mistakes or hurt others along the way.

Three years and a bit ago, I married THEE most awesome man EVER. I should be saying that the very next day, I was shocked to learn that he squeezed the toothpaste differently from me. Or that he had an annoying habit of speaking to me before 8am (because we ALL know that's just rude!). Or that he kicks when he's sleeping. Or that he doesn't always feel like talking when I want to talk. I could tell you how all this totally blew my world. But I won't. Because it didn't. That's because we're of the fortunate few that receive sound premarital counseling to lay the foundation for a solid marriage. Ps John Miller gave us the 411 in the months leading to the wedding day. As we engaged on the colors and flavours of the occasion, he prepped us for the sound and aroma of marriage! He taught us the truth about how men and women interact,and how husbands and wives are to treat each other - come what may.

So we weather every storm with those teachings in mind. The storms come in many forms (emotional, spiritual, physical, mental, financial,parental, etc) but the defense is always the same: prayer and communication. Where we fail to use our weapons, we fail to surf the wave. Thankfully, the Lord rescues us and gives us another opportunity to learn from it all. However, the choice is ours if we will heed His Word or do our own thing. I've come to learn that His way is always better for us - even if it's not necessarily the easiest way.

One thing for sure, whatever the trial or drama, it's worth it because I'm learning the lessons with my best friend. The wedding was spectacular but doing life with Kgabo everyday in marriage is infinity times a gazillion times even better!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dee! Love the post! I has rhe same issue with the toothpast and the speaking before 8!!! Hahaha but u Are so right!! If the foundations are in place then those don't become such big issue and the journey just becomes so much more pleasant and fun!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

I'm a daughter of God Almighty. I'm a dedicated wife to a phenomenal husband, DJ Kgabz. I'm a mother to THEE most beautiful little girls, Mackenzie, Mickaela and Makeida. I am completely devoted to my God-given calling of Christian wife and mother!